CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 02, 2006

kalighat

This afternoon I volunteered at the Missionaries of Charity House for the Dying, known as Kalighat. Kalighat is considered Mother Teresa's first love. It is the first home she started in Kolkata, where those who were dying on the streets were taken to die with Christ's love and dignity. There are fifty bed for men on one side and fifty bed for women on the other side. This house for the dying was opened right next to the Kali Hindu Temple, where people will come to apease and offer sacrifices to this Hindu god. What a contrast! Volunteering there for a couple of hours is not nearly enough to jump into this ministry to the sick and dying. In fact, you really feel more in the way then anything. The sisters and regular volunteers have a definite schedule to their day and and they are very focused on what needs to be done to care for these sick and dying people. They are gracious to allow new and awkward volunteers to jump in and serve. Today I shaved a man's beard, served some food, and helped clean-up after the meal. Our summer team volunteered there a few times back in 1997. So, I was thankful for the opportunity to return. It all was just as I remembered it. Especially, the awkwardness and uncomfortableness of trying my best to serve and be available the patients and volunteers. But, those seem to be typical feelings I experience when serving the poor for the first time in new ways.

We have a day and a half left here in Kolkata. We head to Thailand in a few days.

0 comments: