CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 08, 2009

¡che!

The more I learn Spanish, the more I am picking up on distinct Argentine phrases and slang. One word I noticed immediately was ‘che.’ My trusty gringo guide to understanding the Argentines, titled ¡Che Boludo!, defines ‘che’ as ‘hey!’ or ‘hey you!’ Basically, it’s like a combination of ‘dude/bro!’ & ‘hey!’ The guide also defines it as a meaningless interjection in whatever context.

Okay….so, I am slowly figuring out the appropriate and natural contexts to use ‘che’ as ‘hey' or 'bro’! But, I still use it sparely, so I don’t seem too much like a poser. For sure, the ‘meaningless interjection’ part will take awhile without looking like I am trying way too hard to speak Argentine.

Oh, and in case you were wondering….It is also understood that the word was not adopted from Argentine Ernesto ‘Che’ Guevara, but in fact, the opposite. He received his nickname because Argentine’s frequent use of ‘che’ often distinguishes them from other Latin Americans.

1 comments:

Karen Bayne said...

So glad to have you home David!!