CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 05, 2010

31-day challenge – week one

I week ago, I took on the 31-day challenge. Jara has asked some some good questions along the way. Here are some answers on how it's going for me. See my original post below.

What has been the most difficult, surprising part of the challenge?
Just taking on the challenge in baby steps has caused me to be more mindful of my eating and exercise (or lack of it). So, that is a good thing!

I made Garbanzo Bean Curry this week. I got two dinners and a lunch out of it…so I actually ended up eating vegetarian three times. And I enjoyed the meals without meat… imagine that! Next week, split pea soup. (minus the chunks of ham).

The walking and riding my bike goals have not been as easy this week. My busy
week made it difficult. And it is getting colder and colder here, as we move into winter. Plus, it is getting darker earlier, so it limits some of my window of time for bike riding. Feeling a little sick has not helped either. Excuses, excuses…I will stick with it and find creative ways/times to make it happen.

So, what have you noticed in your body so far?
Flu season has hit in full force these recent weeks. I am surrounded by sick people, coughing and sniffling. This week I have felt like my body is fighting something. Extra tired, a little achy, and a scratchy throat. But, so far, I have avoiding a full on knock out.

What would you add/delete from your list of 31...
Still have 11 more things to add to my list. Here’s five more…
21) Learn more names of vegetables in Spanish. Better then pointing and saying “este” at the Farmer’s Market.
22) Weigh myself weekly at the local farmacia.
23) Wash my hands and use hand sanitizer more often during this flu season!
24) Drink OJ
25) Be more attentive and notice new things about myself, others, and nature.

What's the biggest thing you've noticed in the past two weeks...it could be about yourself, your friends, the weather...I noticed my first firefly yesterday!!!
Good question, Jara! I need to open my eyes and be more attentive (see #25).

What do you love about this part of the year?
It’s coming up on winter here, so the temptation some days is to stay indoors near the space heater. But, I love getting out in this city of Buenos Aires and exploring and taking in the awesome city that this is! Early-June is my birthday, so I always look forward to celebrating with friends. Also, the NBA Finals (Let’s Go, Lakers!) and the World Cup give me extra joy this June!

3 comments:

JaraBeara said...

Thanks for sharing D! I love love it! I need to know the recipe for garbanzo curry. That sounds soooo good. And yeah for birthdays! :) Can't wait to celebrate in July!

::athada:: said...

Becky just fixed up a mean quinoa/veggie soup. Give her a buzz if you want her to share some of her good experiments.

We did the "Daniel fast" for a few months once after reading about this orthodox tradition in Xianity Today. Basically it's eating vegan Wed and Fri, then we ate whatever else we wanted the rest of the week. The creator of TreeHugger.com does "weekday veg". The name basically says it all.

For us, the simplicity of not having to store, cook, cut, disinfect meat just made less meat a lot easier. In Bolivia, however, vegetarians are a critically endangered species. We probably ate enough meat w/ our host family these last 5 months to last us until 2011 :)

NTSS Montgomery said...

I'd love that recipe too please. :) Hope you don't get sick.