As a response to my desire to be more attentive to my call to place, I am blogging on my favorite things in Buenos Aires. (See my January 22 post by clicking here.) These favorites are in no particular order of “favoriteness.”
I have always enjoyed walking. Back in California several times a week I would regularly walk my neighborhoods of Los Alamitos, Seal Beach and Long Beach. When possible walking near the water is definitely preferred. The Seal Beach pier and the waterfront harbor in downtown Long Beach are still favorites when I am back for a visit. Walking is life-giving, restful and refreshing for me. It is often a time to clear my head. Many of my best times of prayer, attentiveness and reflection happen when I am walking. In many ways, it is a spiritual practice for me.
It is no different here in Buenos Aires! These past few weeks I have had some foot issues that have made walking pretty painful. I, finally, found a podiatrist here and, hopefully, I am now on the right track! But, in the meantime, I am realizing how much I miss my regular times to walk some of my favorite places in the city. I took a retreat day this past week and had to cut my plans short, which included a little walking in a park and visiting a museum. I was over ambitious and my foot just couldn’t hack it.
This all made me realize how much I really enjoy walking in Buenos Aires….another favorite thing! I enjoy my short walks (5-6 blocks) through my La Boca neighborhood to visit the Deans and Forcattos. I look forward to my 20-minute walk to church on the unusually quiet streets on Sunday mornings. I can take a 20-minute bus ride to Puerto Madero where there is a long stretch of walking along the old river docks of the city. There are many parks and plazas that are nice to walk through. The stretch of blocks on Avenida de Mayo between the government buildings of Plaza de Mayo/Casa Rosado and Congreso is another favorite stretch of walking. The beautiful architecture, the tree lined streets and the people watching are all part of the experience for me.
So, today I am grateful to live in a place where I can enjoy walking.


0 comments:
Post a Comment