…que vivo en Buenos Aires! Last weekend was my two-year anniversary of living in Argentina. I went away for a personal retreat to reflect a bit and give thanks to God has all He has done. I also have begun the process to discern renewing my commitment beyond my first three-year contract.
Last year, Silas in our WMF Community Care Department shared some helpful information with me about the ups and downs of cultural adjustment and language acquisition. While it is not always exactly the same for everyone, there are some pretty common high points and low points for missionaries moving to a new country and culture during the first two years. Many of my experiences could definitely relate to those highs and lows. Especially, the second year “crash” I experienced about 6-months ago. I just felt extra discouraged and frustrated with my Spanish and some of my ministry relationships. I was feeling extra impatient with myself and my perceived lack of progress. I am grateful for our Buenos Aires community who accompanied me and encouraged me during all the discouraging times these past two years.
The encouraging news is that new missionaries tend to have less of these low points during their third year. This is not to say that I have arrived, by any means! I have a lot to learn and grow into, for sure! I will continue to feel like a fish out of water for some time. But, as I begin year three I am hopeful and encouraged with all that is ahead.
Probably just coincidence, but this last week was one of my more encouraging weeks with Spanish. Both my Spanish tutors commented on how my Spanish has improved. And I had to introduce myself and my roles in our WMF community at a meeting with potential board members for our new Argentine organization/association. One of my tutors commented that something “clicked” these recent weeks. YAY! Thank you, Lord! And thank you to all who have been praying and encouraging me along the way. Again, I have a long way to go and anticipate more highs and lows this third year in Buenos Aires, but it helps to remember God’s faithfulness so far!


3 comments:
David! Happy anniversary! This post made me so happy! Love hearing about your journey and progress!
Thanks for sharing the ups and downs.
felicidades david! estamos celebrando!
Post a Comment